Last Updated: May 2018
Your privacy is important to us。 This privacy statement explains what personal data Advantech Co。, Ltd。 (hereinafter referred to as "Advantech") collects from you, through our interactions with you and through our products, and how we use that data。
Advantech offers a wide range of products, from server products used to help operate enterprises worldwide, devices you use in your company, software for engineers use at factory, and services developers use to create and host what’s next. References to Advantech products in this statement include Advantech services, websites, software, servers and devices.
Please read the product-specific details in this privacy statement, which provide additional information about some of Advantech products。 This statement applies to Advantech’s interactions with you and the Advantech products listed below, as well as other Advantech products that display this statement。
I. Official Platform: MyAdvantech, eStore, CRM, official website,
II. Advantech Software Product : WISE-PaaS, Intelligent wards (iWards), UFleet+ and UShop+
III. Third Parties platform : Hubspot, Siebel, SalesForce.com, Live Chat
- Personal Data We Collect
- How We Use Personal Data
- Reasons We Share Personal Data
- How to Access & Control Your Personal Data
- Lawful Basis for Processing Your Personal Data
- How Long Do We Keep Your Personal Data
- Your Information and Countries Outside Europe
- Your Rights
- How to Contact Us
1. Personal Data We Collect
Advantech collects data to operate effectively and provide you the best experiences with our products。 You provide some of this data directly, such as when you create an Advantech account, administer your organization’s licensing account, submit a search query to resources center, register for an Advantech event, subscribe eDM, purchase an Advantech product, sign up for MyAdvantech, or contact us for support。 We get some of it by recording how you interact with our products by, for example, using technologies like cookies, and receiving error reports or usage data from software running on your device。
We also obtain data from third parties. We protect data obtained from third parties according to the practices described in this statement, plus any additional restrictions imposed by the source of the data. These third-party sources vary over time, but have included:
- Data brokers from whom we purchase demographic data to supplement the data we collect.
- Social networks when you grant permission to an Advantech product to access your data on one or more networks.
- Service providers that help us determine a location based on your IP address in order to customize certain products to your location.
- Partners with which we offer co-branded services or engage in joint marketing activities, and
- Publicly-available sources such as open government databases or other data in the public domain.
You have choices about the data we collect. When you are asked to provide personal data, you may decline. But if you choose not to provide data that is necessary to provide a product or feature, you may not be able to use that product or feature.
The data we collect depends on the context of your interactions with Advantech, the choices you make, including your privacy settings, and the products and features you use. The data we collect can include the following:
We collect your first and last name, email address, postal address, phone number, and other similar contact data.
We collect passwords, password hints, and similar security information used for authentication and account access.
We collect data about you such as your age, gender, country, and preferred language。
We collect data necessary to process your payment if you make purchases, such as your payment instrument number (such as a credit card number), and the security code associated with your payment instrument.
We collect data about your device and how you and your device interact with Advantech and our products. For example, we collect:
- Product use data. We collect data about the features you use, the items you purchase, and the web pages you visit. This data includes your voice and text search queries or commands to MyAdvantech, eStore, and our Live Chat. This also includes the settings you select and the software configurations you use most.
- Device, connectivity and configuration data。 We collect data about your device and the network you use to connect to our products. It includes data about the operating systems and other software installed on your device, including product keys. It also includes IP address, device identifiers (such as the registration ID and phone numbers), and regional and language settings.
- Error reports and performance data。 We collect data about the performance of the products and any problems you experience with them. This data helps us to diagnose problems in the products you use, and to improve our products and provide solutions. Depending on your product and settings, error reports (sometimes called “crash dumps”) can include data such as the type or severity of the problem, details of the software or hardware related to an error, contents of files you were using when an error occurred, and data about other software on your device.
- Troubleshooting and Help Data。When you engage Advantech for troubleshooting and help, we collect data about you and your hardware, software, and other details related to the incident. Such data includes contact or authentication data, the content of your chats and other communications with Advantech, data about the condition of the machine and the application when the fault occurred and during diagnostics, and system and registry data about software installations and hardware configurations.
- F. Interests and favorites
We collect data about your interests and favorites, such as the products you interested in, the Business application area you prefer, the Solution topic you track in Advantech website, or the favorite product you add to eStore shopping cart. In addition to those you explicitly provide, your interests and favorites may also be inferred or derived from other data we collect.
- G. Contacts and relationships
We collect data about your contacts and relationships if you use an Advantech product to manage contacts, for example MyAdvantech, or to communicate or interact with other people or organizations, for example Live Chat and worldwide trade show。
For products with location-enhanced features, we collect data about your location, which can be either precise or imprecise. Precise location data can be Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) data (e.g., GPS), as well as data identifying nearby cell towers and Wi-Fi hotspots, we collect when you enable location-based products or features. Imprecise location data includes, for example, a location derived from your IP address or data that indicates where you are located with less precision, such as at a city or postal code level.
We collect content of your files and communications when necessary to provide you with the products you use。 For example, if you transmit a file using Live Chat, we need to collect the content of that file to display it to you and the other user as you direct。 If you receive a data using Live Chat, we need to collect the content of that data to deliver it to your inbox, display it to you, enable you to reply to it, and store it for you until you choose to delete it。 Other data we collect to provide communication services to you include the:
- subject line and body of an email,
- text or other content of an instant message,
- audio and video recording of a video message, and
- audio recording and transcript of a voice message you receive or a text message you dictate.
If you enter Advantech headquarters, office buildings or other facilities, or attend an Advantech event, your image may be captured by our security cameras.
If you use eStore and MyAdvantech, at your direction, we may also collect payment card information, receipt data, or financial transaction data, to provide the service.
If you use Enterprise Online Services, WISE-PaaS, Intelligent wards (iWards), UFleet+ and UShop+, Advantech collects Customer Data (including content), Support Data, and Administrator Data, defined below in the Enterprise and Developer Products section.
We also collect information you provide to us and the content of messages you send to us, such as feedback and product reviews you write, or questions and information you provide for customer support. When you contact us, such as for customer support, phone conversations or chat sessions with our representatives may be monitored and recorded.
Product-specific sections below describe data collection practices applicable to use of those products.
Advantech will not collect any personal data about you (e.g. your name, address, telephone number or e-mail address), unless you voluntarily choose to provide us with it (e.g. by registration, surveys, etc.). Advantech is the sole owner of the information collected on our web sites. Under no circumstances will we share your customer information with anyone other than those directly involved with the purchase and shipment of your order, unless you explicitly give us permission to do so. We may use your e-mail address to notify you of special offers and promotions that you are eligible to participate in as a registered customer. You may decline this service.
Non-Personal Data Collected Automatically
When you access our Web site, we may automatically (i.e., not by registration) collect non-personal data (e.g. type of Internet browser and operating system used, IP address, domain name of the Web site from which you came, number of visits, average time spent on the site, pages viewed). We use this data to monitor web interaction, analyses trends improve performance and content and study the needs of customers more closely. This will be performed in accordance with the applicable data privacy protection legal framework.
EU-U.S. & Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield
Advantech adheres to the principles of the EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield frameworks.
2. How We Use Personal Data
Advantech uses the data we collect for three basic purposes, described in more detail below: (1) to operate our business and provide (including improving and personalizing) the products we offer, (2) to send communications, including promotional communications, and (3) to show advertising, whether in our own products supported by advertising like eDM and Campaign, or in products offered by third parties.
In carrying out these purposes, we combine data we collect to give you a more seamless, consistent and personalized experience。 For example, MyAdvantech and eStore can use information about the products and services you use to make personalized Solution Ready Packages recommendations。 However, to enhance privacy, we have built in technological and procedural safeguards designed to prevent certain data combinations。 For example, we store data we collect from you when you are unauthenticated (not signed in) separately from any account information that directly identifies you, such as your name, email address or phone number。
- A. Providing and improving our products. We use data to provide and improve the products we offer and perform essential business operations. This includes operating the products, maintaining and improving the performance of the products, developing new features, conducting research, and providing customer support. Examples of such uses include the following:
- Providing the Products. We use data to carry out your transactions with us and to provide our products to you. Often, those products include personalized features and recommendations that enhance your productivity and enjoyment, and automatically tailor your product experiences based on the data we have about your activities, interests and location.
- Customer support. We use data to diagnose product problems, repair customers' devices, and provide other customer care and support services.
- Product activation. We use data—such as device and application type, location, and unique device, application, network and subscription identifiers—to activate software and devices that require activation.
- Product Improvement. We use data to continually improve our products, including adding new features or capabilities. For example, we use error reports to improve security features, search queries and clicks in Bing to improve the relevancy of the search results, usage data to determine what new features to prioritize, and audio recordings from voice input features to improve speech recognition accuracy.
- Security, Safety and Dispute Resolution. We use data to protect the security and safety of our products and our customers, to detect and prevent fraud, to confirm the validity of software licenses, to resolve disputes and enforce our agreements. Our security features and products can disrupt the operation of malicious software and notify users if malicious software is found on their devices.
- Business Operations. We use data to develop aggregate analysis and business intelligence that enable us to operate, protect, make informed decisions, and report on the performance of our business.
We use data we collect to communicate with you and personalize our communications with you. For example, we may contact you by phone or email or other means to inform you when a subscription is ending, discuss your licensing account, let you know when security updates are available, remind you about items left in your online shopping cart, update you or inquire about a service or repair request, invite you to participate in a survey, or tell you that you need to take action to keep your account active. Additionally, you can sign up for email subscriptions and choose whether you wish to receive promotional communications from Advantech by email, SMS, physical mail, and telephone. For information about managing your contact data, email subscriptions and promotional communications, please visit the Access and Controls section of this privacy statement.
Advantech does not use what you say in email, chat, video calls or voice mail, or your documents, photos or other personal files to target ads to you。
We use data we collect through our interactions with you, through some of our products and on third-party web properties, to show advertising. For example:
- Advantech may use your data to select and deliver some of the ads you see on Advantech web properties, such as advantech.com, MyAdvantech and eStore.
- When the advertising ID is enabled in Advantech.com as part of your privacy settings, Advantech apps can access and use the advertising ID (much the same way that websites can access and use a unique identifier stored in a cookie) to select and deliver ads in such apps.
- We may share data we collect with third parties, such as Siebel, SalesForce.com so that they can select and deliver some of the ads you see in our products, their products, or other sites and apps serviced by these partners. Nevertheless, we will ensure that those third parties undertake to comply with the data protection legislation applicable.
- Advertisers may choose to place our web beacons on their sites in order to allow Advantech to collect information on their sites such as activities, purchases and visits; we use this data on behalf of our advertising customers to help target their ads. We also share data directly with service providers, such as Live Chat to permit them to provide services on our behalf or to partner with us in selecting and serving ads for our advertising partners.
The ads that you see may be selected based on data we process about you, such as your interests and favorites, your location, your transactions, how you use our products, your search queries, or the content you view.
The ads that you see may also be selected based on other information learned about you over time using demographic data, location data, search queries, interests and favorites, usage data from our products and sites, as well as the sites and apps of our advertisers and partners. We refer to these ads as "interest-based advertising" in this statement. For example, if you view gaming content on advantech.com, you may see offers for games on eDM. To provide interest-based advertising, we combine cookies placed on your device using information that we collect (such as IP address) when your browser interacts with our websites. If you opt out of receiving interest-based advertising, data associated with these cookies will not be used.
Further details regarding our advertising-related uses of data include:
- Children and Advertising. We do not deliver interest-based advertising to children whose birthdate in their Advantech account identifies them as under 16 years of age.
- Data Retention. For interest-based advertising, we retain data for no more than 13 months, unless we obtain your consent to retain the data longer.
- Data Sharing. In some cases, we share with advertisers reports about the data we have collected on their sites or ads.
- Data Collected by Other Advertising Companies. Advertisers sometimes include their own web beacons (or those of their other advertising partners) within their advertisements that we display, enabling them to set and read their own cookie. Additionally, Advantech partners with third-party ad companies to help provide some of our advertising services, and we also allow other third-party ad companies to display advertisements on our sites. These third parties may place cookies on your computer and collect data about your online activities across websites or online services. These companies currently include. You may find more information on each company's practices, including the choices it offers, by clicking on the company names above. Many of them are also members of the NAI or DAA, which each provide a simple way to opt out of ad targeting from participating companies.
3. Reasons We Share Personal Data
We share your personal data with your consent or as necessary to complete any transaction or provide any product you have requested or authorized. For example, we share your content with third parties when you tell us to do so. When you provide payment data to make a purchase, we will share payment data with banks and other entities that process payment transactions or provide other financial services, and for fraud prevention and credit risk reduction.
In addition, we share personal data among Advantech-controlled affiliates and subsidiaries. We also share personal data with vendors or agents working on our behalf for the purposes described in this statement. For example, companies we've hired to provide customer service support or assist in protecting and securing our systems and services may need access to personal data to provide those functions. In such cases, these companies must abide by our data privacy and security requirements and are not allowed to use personal data they receive from us for any other purpose. We may also disclose personal data as part of a corporate transaction such as a merger or sale of assets.
Finally, we will access, transfer, disclose, and preserve personal data, including your content, when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to:
- comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies;
- protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of our products, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone;
- operate and maintain the security of our products, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or
- protect the rights or property of Advantech, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services - however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Advantech, we will not inspect a customer's private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement.
Please note that some of our products include links to products of third parties whose privacy practices differ from Advantech's. If you provide personal data to any of those products, your data is governed by their privacy statements.
4. How to Access & Control Your Personal Data
You can view, edit, or delete your personal data online for many Advantech products。 You can also make choices about Advantech's collection and use of your data。 How you can access or control your personal data will depend on which products you use。 For example:
- Advantech Account (My Advantech and eStore). If you wish to access, edit, or remove the profile information and payment information in your Advantech account, change your password, add security information or close your account, you can do so. From here, you can also access controls for other Advantech products.
- Advantech Store. You can access your Advantech Store profile and account information, and clicking on "View account" or "Order history"
- Advantech.com You can access and update your profile on Advantech.com
If you cannot access certain personal data collected by Advantech via the links above or directly through the Advantech products you use, you can always contact Advantech by Contact us。 We will respond to requests to access or delete your personal data within 30 days
Your Communications Preferences
You can choose whether you wish to receive promotional communications from Advantech by email, SMS, physical mail, and telephone. If you receive promotional email or SMS messages from us and would like to opt out, you can do so by following the directions in that message. You can also make choices about the receipt of promotional email, telephone calls, and postal mail by signing in with your personal Advantech account, and viewing your communication permissions where you can update contact information, manage Advantech-wide contact preferences, opt out of email subscriptions, and choose whether to share your contact information with Advantech partners. If you do not have a personal Advantech account, you can manage your Advantech email contact preferences by using this web form. These choices do not apply to mandatory service communications that are part of certain Advantech services, or to surveys or other informational communications that have their own unsubscribe method.
Your Advertising Choices
You may opt out of receiving interest-based advertising from Advantech by visiting our opt-out page. When you opt out, your selection will be stored in a cookie that is specific to the web browser you are using. The opt-out cookie has an expiration date of five years. If you delete the cookies on your device, you will need to opt out again.
You can also link your opt-out choice with your personal Advantech account。 It will then apply on any device where you use that account, and will continue to apply until someone signs in with a different personal Advantech account on that device。 If you delete the cookies on your device, you will need to sign in again for the settings to apply。
For advertising that appears in apps on Windows, you may use the opt-out linked to your personal Advantech account, or opt out of interest-based advertising by turning off the advertising ID in Windows Settings.
Because the data used for interest-based advertising is also used for other legitimate and necessary purposes (including providing our products, analytics and fraud detection), opting out of interest-based advertising does not stop that data from being collected。 Nor does it mean you will stop getting ads or see fewer ads。 However, if you do opt out, the ads you receive will no longer be interest-based and may be less relevant to your interests。
You can opt out of receiving interest-based advertising from third parties we partner with by visiting their sites (see above).
- Cookie Controls. Relevant browser-based cookie controls are described in the Cookies section of this privacy statement.
- Tracking Protection. Internet Explorer (versions 9 and up) has a feature called Tracking Protection that will block third-party content, including cookies, from any site that is listed in a Tracking Protection List you add. By limiting calls to these sites, the browser will limit the information these third-party sites can collect about you.
- Browser Controls for "Do Not Track." Some browsers have incorporated "Do Not Track" (DNT) features that can send a signal to the websites you visit indicating you do not wish to be tracked. Because there is not yet a common understanding of how to interpret the DNT signal, Advantech services do not currently respond to browser DNT signals. We continue to work with the online industry to define a common understanding of how to treat DNT signals. In the meantime, you can use the range of other tools we provide to control data collection and use, including the ability to opt-out of receiving interest-based advertising from Advantech as described above.
What sort of cookies does the Advantech use?
Generally, our cookies perform up to three different functions:
Some cookies are essential for the operation of our website. For example, some cookies allow us to identify subscribers and ensure they can access the subscription only pages. If a subscriber opts to disable these cookies, the user will not be able to access all of the content that a subscription entitles them to.
We utilise other cookies to analyze how our visitors use our websites and to monitor website performance. This allows us to provide a high quality experience by customising our offering and quickly identifying and fixing any issues that arise. For example, we might use performance cookies to keep track of which pages are most popular, which method of linking between pages is most effective, and to determine why some pages are receiving error messages. We might also use these cookies to highlight articles or site services that we think will be of interest to you based on your usage of the website.
We use functionality cookies to allow us to remember your preferences. For example, cookies save you the trouble of typing in your username every time you access the site, and recall your customization preferences, such as which regional edition of the website you want to see when you log in.
We also use functionality cookies to provide you with enhanced services such as allowing you to watch a video online. We also use or allow third parties to serve cookies that fall into the four categories above. For example, like many companies, we use Google Analytics to help us monitor our website traffic. We may also use third party cookies to help us with market research, revenue tracking, improving site functionality and monitoring compliance with our terms and conditions and copyright policy.
Can a website user block cookies?
As we’ve explained above, cookies help you to get the most out of our websites. However, if you do wish to disable our cookies then please follow the instructions below from main browser providers:
- for Microsoft Internet Explorer.
- for Mozilla Firefox.
- for Google Chrome.
- for Apple Safari.
Please remember that if you do choose to disable cookies, you may find that certain sections of our website do not work properly。
We track whether users open our emails?
Our emails may contain a single, campaign-unique “web beacon pixel” to tell us whether our emails are opened and verify any clicks through to links within the email. We may use this information for purposes including determining which of our emails are more interesting to users, to query whether users who do not open our emails wish to continue receiving them.
5. Lawful Bases for Processing
We will only collect and process personal data about you where we have lawful bases. Lawful bases include:
- a) Legitimate interest of Advantech
We will rely on legitimate interests as a basis for data processing where the processing of your data is not overridden by your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms. Advantech may process your personal data for the purposes of our legitimate interests or for the legitimate interests of third parties (e.g. your employer). For example, Advantech may process your personal data to enable Advantech to carry its business, such as:
- conclusion and execution of agreements with your employer, supplier or business partners;
- to record and financially settle delivered Services and Products;
- sales, marketing and promotions;
- account management;
- customer service, finance and accounting;
- research and development;
- internal management and control;
- quality control, consolidated reporting;
- corporate transactions, such as a sale of a business or a part of a business to another company, or any reorganization, merger, joint venture, or other disposition of Advantech’s business, assets, or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceeding)
- understand and improve our business or customer relationships generally
Please note that where we rely on legitimate interests, you have the right to object to the processing of your data.
- b) Compliance with legal obligations to which Advantech is subject
- c) Protect you, Advantech or others from threats (such as security threats or fraud)
- d) Contract where processing is necessary for the performance of a contract with you (e.g. to deliver the Products or Services you have requested). Where we rely on contract, we will ask that you agree to the processing of personal data that is necessary for entering into or performance of your contract with Advantech.
- e) If none of the criteria listed in a)-d) above applies or if consent is required by the applicable local legislation, Advantech shall obtain consent from you before processing your data. Where we process data based on consent, we will ask for your explicit consent. When seeking for consent, Advantech shall inform you;
- Of the purpose of the processing for which consent is requested and
- Any other relevant details to seek to ensure legal processing.
Where we rely on your consent to process personal data, you have the right to withdraw or decline your consent at any time. You may withdraw your consent at any time, but that will not affect the lawfulness of the processing of your personal data prior to such withdrawal.
6. How long do we keep your personal data?
We keep your Personal Data for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it has been collected and we may retain and use your personal data。
The criteria used to determine our retention periods include:
- Are we subject to a legal, contractual, or similar obligation to retain the personal data? Examples can include mandatory data retention laws in the applicable jurisdiction, government orders to preserve personal data relevant to an investigation, or personal data that must be retained for the purposes of litigation;
- do we have a contract in place with your employee or a business partner or are we engaged with you in any negotiation for the conclusion of a contract or any other operation or transaction;
- Do you have an account with us? In this case we will keep the personal data while your account is active or for as long as needed to provide services to you. However, if you haven’t logged onto our website for 10 (ten) years we will delete your information from our systems provided that there are no other reasons including but not limited to prevention of fraud and abuses, enforce the contract we have with you or your employer, legal or regulatory requirements, resolve disputes, when we may also keep hold of some of your information as required, even after you have closed your account or it is no longer needed to provide the services to you.
- Have you consented that we can retain your personal data?
7. Your information and countries outside Europe
Due to its international position, Advantech may need to transfer your personal data outside the European Union or European Economic Zone, including but not limited to Taiwan. Taiwan is not a country in respect of which there is a European Commission decision of adequacy, but we have put in place adequate measures to protect your privacy and your rights through the use of the European Commission’s standard data protection clauses. More information about these is available
You may also obtain a copy of these measures by contacting Advantech at firstname.lastname@example.org
You have the following rights relating to your personal data:
- (i) The right to be informed about how your personal information is being used (an example of information is this policy)
- (ii) The right to access the personal data we process about you
- (iii) The right to request the correction of inaccurate personal information we process about you (although you can probably do most of this through your account)
- (iv) The right to request that we delete your data, or stop processing it or collecting it, in some circumstances
- (v) The right to stop direct marketing messages and to withdraw consent for consent-based processing at any time
- (vi) The right to request that we transfer or port elements of your data either to you or another service provider, in case we collect personal data based on your consent.
- (vii) The right to complain to your data protection regulator.
This website takes every precaution to protect our users' information。 When users submit sensitive information via our website, your information is protected both online and off-line。 When our order form, log-in page, and/or registration page asks users to enter sensitive information (such as credit card number), that information is encrypted and is protected with the best encryption software in the industry - SSL。
In addition, VeriSign is used as our certifying authority. While on a secure page, such as our order form, the lock icon on the bottom of Web browsers such as Netscape Navigator and Microsoft Internet Explorer becomes locked, as opposed to un-locked, or open, in normal non-secure use. While we use SSL encryption to protect sensitive information online, we also do everything in our power to protect user-information off-line. All of our users' information, not just the sensitive information mentioned above, is restricted in our offices. Only employees who need the information to perform a specific job (for example, our billing clerk or a customer service representative) are granted access to personally identifiable information.
9. How to Contact Us
Questions and Comments
By visiting Advantech's website, you consent to the practices described in the Privacy notice and your visit and any dispute over privacy is subject to this notice.
We always want to hear from our customers. If you:
- Have any questions or feedback about this policy
- Would like us to stop using your personal data
- Want to exercise any of your rights as set out above, or have a complaint
please don’t hesitate to contact our team, who will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
You can contact our privacy team by dropping us a line at email@example.com